Monday, November 2, 2009


And we're back...
So I last left you with Tina and I standing on the beaches of Lake Superior...and that is where I will begin again!

If you look closely, you can see the stones catching a ride on the waves.  They were definitely stirred up that day!

Ryan vs. the waves...

Yes, he's barefoot, and yes he's crazy.  And I warned him he would get sick.  And for the record, he got sick.  He's been complaining for 2 weeks he's had the Swine Flu.  Yuh.
After Lake Superior, we went to Superior Falls.  It's a quck walk through the woods, with some slightly challenging terrain (don't wear heels, ladies). 

Beautiful shot of the falls...

This is my "artsy" shot...
After the falls, it was a short walk across the street to a scenic overlook at the Montreal River.

One of the views from the lookout.  This picture doesn't do it justice though.

Me at the Montreal River face looks so chubby!  Pat said, "I KNOW! BUT YOU DON'T REALLY LOOK LIKE THAT!"   (Score: brownie points for the hubby.)

The leafy trail that led the way to to the overlook...

Tina.  Work'n the fence.
And so ended our day in the U.P.  But not before stopping in Mercer at a unique little gift shop called "Whimsies" and eating at the "Around the Corner Pub" with Ryan's fam.  His Aunt happened to find my engagement ring in her bathroom, and thankfully returned it to me at the bar.  Thank goodness she found it!! Otherwise I'd still be sitting here without it!
So then it was back to the lodge.  We decided to go out looking for the "spirit deer" again and this time we got some satisfaction.  We caught one as it raced across the road in front of us. 
The next day we woke and went to breakfast at the Outdoorsman again.  This time I had a kick-ass omelette and once again, the greatest Cherry Coke ever! After breakfast we went to look for the spirit deer yet again.  This time we saw a couple of them.  So it made me happier just knowing I saw these elusive creatures.
Then it was time to depart for home.   Once again, Clifford's heated leather seats kept me warm and cozy all the way home.  I snoozed off and on for the 3 hour drive home and was sad to be leaving but knew that my very own marshmallow bed would feel great when I got home!
Once home, I unpacked and spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning my room.  It's a bigger challenge than it sounds.  Being married and trying to "live" out of a 10x10 bedroom is very difficult.  Pat and I have stuff scattered between several different places. But I digress.
The following week was spent hunting for the "100 goose".  We got up to 98 during the week.  Friday night was spent with one of my "besties" Jeanne and we watched "The Proposal", ate ice cream and pizza and had a blast.  Cute flick.  We also watched "Ghost Adventures" which I am now addicted to! I want season 1 on dvd for Christmas!! :) I'm gonna try to work it and get it a little sooner though. LOL
Saturday morning.  Halloween. My 33rd birthday.  Awake at 5 a.m.  Goose Mafia rides again.  We were in the "Puddle Set" and Pat, Keith and I were on a mission.  We had to only get 2 geese to hit our goal and there were a TON of geese in there in days prior.  Pat put me on the best of all the "puddles" and set me up for the 100 goose to be my birthday present.  Alas, daylight and the unmistakeable "HONK" breaks the wind and rain and snow, and the flock was up, off the pond and they were heading straight for our set.  I took a deep breath, waited til they were right on me, and burst out of my blind and raised my gun and squeezed the trigger and "CLICK"...the gun didn't fire...I checked the safety, it was on "fire", I looked at the was stuck backwards...panic insued...the geese flared away and I cursed and yelled and noticed the geese banking back toward us.  I had time to reload and get back down in my blind just in time for the geese to return.  This time they were lower yet and right on top of me again...I burst out of my blind, raised my gun, fired and "CLICK"...WTF!?!?  I checked the safety AGAIN, it's on "fire", I checked the trigger and it was stuck backwards.  Thankfully this time Pat and Keith fired and Pat got our 99th and Keith knocked our 100th out of the air but could not retrieve it.  He and Chance found the place of impact, feathers and all, and then Chanced sniffed his way to the pond where the trail went cold.  Either the goose paddled VERY quickly across the pond, or he did what they call a "death dive".  Keith said they will dive down, clamp on to a weed and their jaw locks and they drown themselves.  Which I find very sad, and I never knew ducks and geese did this.  But in any case, we rejoiced we now only have ONE LEFT TIL THE 100TH GOOSE!!!!
So after we came home from the hunt, it was time for my birthday "lunch."  At noon Tina and Ryan and Alice and Clarence came over to help me celebrate.  I received money, and flowers, and a marshmallow roaster rotisserie and a Chili's gift card (YUM) and a necklace.  My sister made my cake, in the shape of a cat.  Very cute.  Then Mom, Alice, Clarence and I got emersed in two games of Scrabble.  First time we broke out the board since last winter!  I'm so anal I've kept all the score cards since I got that board for Christmas in 2006.  That way there will never be a discrepancy about mom and my "win/lose ratio".  HAHA. I'm an EVIL GENIUS!
Let's see, then later Pat and I went to visit Gram.  She gave me an old "bean crock" that I once said I liked.  It looks like a mini cookie jar.  Right now it's housing all my Halloween candy I robbed from people's trick-or-treat bowls.  LOL
After Gram's, we picked up Tina and Ryan and Mark and went to Green Bay to check out a friend's Halloween display. He's got some of the most wicked cool things...(and I'm not just saying that because I know that at some point he will read this...) Among my fave's are the remote control witch with the crystal ball, the "black-lit" ghost in the garage, and the most awesome-est werewolf birthday cupcake he and his family gave to me, complete with candle.  Looking back, I wish I would have gotten pics of me and that ghost in the garage. It RAWKED!!  There's always next year!
On our way home from Green Bay, Mark, Pat and I were weaving through the outskirts of Howard when, the biggest buck we have seen in a looooooooong time, trotted casually across the road...I was in hysterics, even having the presence of mind to open my window and beg him to "coooome baaaack!"  Funny.
Then finally it was home again to my marshmallow bed which felt really good after such a long day!  I really have to give a shout out to all my friends for making my 33rd birthday so great.  Especially all the wishes sent via Facebook! AMAZING! :)  Definitely a high point of the day!
And the next day was Marky's birthday so I gave him his present on Halloween...since he had to work on his actual birthday.  I gave him a ton of Powerball tickets. I also bought some hoping that it being my birthday would bring me luck...but it didn't happen.  Even though I got 31 as the Powerball and I felt it was a "sign".  Marky ended up winning 8 dollars which was better than nothing I guess.  I am going to have to haul all these guys down to "The Miracle Mile" soon to buy another ticket.  That's where the winning happens. :)
November 1....ahhh...daylight savings begins.  We all "fell back" in our sleep and woke up to shorter days.  I hate that.  I don't like the darkness.  But besides that, it was the NFL game of the year, Packers vs. Vikings at Lambeau.  The first half was a pitiful display by the Packers.  The 2nd half, specifically the 3rd quarter held hope and some of the best ball the Packers have played all season.  But alas, it was not meant to be, and despite the crowd boo'ing Favre  upon every snap he took, he still prevailed.  The better team DID win.
And now here I am, on November 2, chillaxin for the entire day and watching the first of what will be a very long streak of holiday movies I own on DVD and finally can feel I am officially caught up on my blog!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment